In September 2016, ten of Brisbane’s Slavic communities committed to creating the inaugural Festival of Slavic Culture, planned for the August – September 2017. The proposed Festival program includes:
- a Gala Concert,
- an exhibition running four weeks in the central Brisbane City Council Library, and
- community events staged at various ethnic clubs across Brisbane.
To inspire recognition of each Slavic community’s history as well as the contributions made by people and organisations of Slavic origin to multi-cultural Australia.
To introduce the general community to Slavic culture by:
- demonstrating to the general Australian public the rich and vibrant Slavic culture through a Gala Concert, and a series of exhibitions and tastings of Slavic cuisines,
- providing public education and awareness of the extraordinary contributions provided by both the Slavic communities and the individuals of Slavic origin during times of peace and war,
- fostering public awareness about the broad range of contributions by Slavs in Australia to culture, science, technology and the multi-cultural Australian way of life, and
- providing links to heritage sites and to other memorials devoted to men and women of Slavic origins.